BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #dajogadopa-0 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#111228 2022-05-03 03:06

Cart #somniorum-0 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Made for Mini Jam 105, I come with a new platformer! Hop through a series of single-screen challenges, where every time you enter a level there's different physics! Is it absurd? Absolutely, but it's fun, and sometimes you're a bird <3

P#111223 2022-05-03 00:52

MANIC CTF

Cart #kajojibeku-0 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:
  Player 1 - Cursor Keys
  Player 2 - ESDF

A simple multiplayer button-mashing game where the aim is to capture the flag from your opponent and hold onto it for the duration of the round.

If the flag is dropped, just run over it to pick it up.

If your opponent has the flag, run into them to steal it from them.

A player must hold onto the flag for a total of 15 seconds to win the round, and the eventual winner is decided by 2 round wins out of a possible 3.

Starting positions are randomised each round.

P#111222 2022-05-03 00:30 ( Edited 2022-05-03 06:28)

Cart #suyonamomi-0 | 2022-05-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#111211 2022-05-02 18:28

Cart #komehara_reordered-0 | 2022-09-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a game I made for the Global Game Jam 2018 on theme "Transmission", but I never posted it here. In fact, it's the first cartridge I'm posting on the BBS.

I wanted to improve it before uploading it, esp. add keyboard-only controls, so that users can play it on a micro-console without mouse... But I never got the time, so I prefer posting the current version here, so at least you can try it on PC or mobile device (using touch for mouse + gamepad overlay).

Concept

REORDERED is a puzzle game inspired by the concept of out-of-order delivery in computer networking. The player must reorder the letters of a message sent from an antenna to another to form another word.

To reorder letters, the player must mess up the travel time of some letters by interacting with the environment.

Controls

!! Mouse or touch is required to play !!

• Mouse click on Togglable element (green, small eye icon in the center) to toggle it
  • Mouse click on Restart icon to restart level
  • Keyboard press (X) (keyboard X/V/M) to start emitting letters
  • (Debug) Press Arrow Left/Right to go to previous/next level

Mechanics

To reorder letters, the player must mess up the travel time of some letters by interacting with the environment.

A given word is decomposed in letters that are sent at regular intervals from an emitting antenna. A letter travels in straight line until it reaches an element that affects its trajectory. The player can enable and disable those elements in order to guide the letters into a certain direction.

Letters eventually arrive on a receiving antenna to compound a word again. Some trajectories being longer than others, letters are effectively reordered by the timely toggling of interactive elements, causing a new word to be created.

Special tiles

• Arrow: changes the direction of a traveling letter. Has a togglable variant.
  • Mirror: reflects direction of a traveling letter. Has a togglable variant.
  • Emitter: shaped as an antenna, it sends the original word, letter by letter
  • Receiver: shaped as a circle (parabola seen from above), it receives the final word, letter by letter.

itch.io link: https://komehara.itch.io/reordered
Code repository link: https://github.com/hsandt/ggj2018-Transmission

P#111198 2022-05-02 16:00 ( Edited 2022-09-20 12:47)

I think there should be a way to import lexaloffle.com Favorites into PICO-8 and VOXATRON, of course logging in in the apps is not a good solution so a way to export favorites.txt files would be nice, also a way to import PICO-8/VOXATRON favorites into lexaloffle.com

P#111192 2022-05-02 13:47 ( Edited 2022-05-02 13:48)

Cart #rockets-6 | 2022-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Dodge to destroy as many rockets as possible and collect coins as long as you can

Use Left and Right Arrow keys to control the plane

Update 2.0

• More planes to unlock
  • Better enemy spawn
  • Sky background
  • Each coin is now equal to 5 points

Update 2.1

• Added enemy spawn indicator
  • Bigger sky background
  • Increased the volume of background music
  • Changed where enemy spawns to nerf all the strategies that were ruining the game
  • Added funny death messages
  • 🥚🐇
P#111184 2022-05-02 11:23 ( Edited 2022-05-05 11:16)

I'm starting a tutorial on how to make your a Shmup in Pico-8 from scratch! It's for complete beginners.

The goal is to make a basic Shmup first and then slowly turn it into an AWESOME shmup!

New episodes on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I will use this thread to keep a list of the episodes and post significant progress. Let's gooooo!

Episode 2 - Moving Stuff
Episode 3 - Controls
Episode 4 - Shooting
Episode 5 - Animation
Episode 6 - Health UI
Episode 7 - Starfield
Episode 8 - Animating Stars
Episode 9 - Game Over
Episode 10 - More Bullets
Episode 11 - Enemies
Episode 12 - Collsions
Episode 13 - Invulnerability
Episode 14 - Explosions
Episode 15 - Better Explosions
Episode 16 - Shockwaves
Episode 17 - Music
Episode 18 - More Enemies
Episode 19 - Big Enemies
Episode 20 - Enemy Spawns
Episode 21 - Enemy Movement
Episode 22 - Enemy Attacks
Episode 23 - Enemy Bullets
Episode 24 - Spread Shots
Episode 25 - Aimed Shots
Episode 26 - Pickups
Episode 27 - Bombs
Episode 28 - Boss
Episode 29 - The End

Also annoucing the Lazy Devs Basic Shmup Showcase. If you participated in the tutorial you have one month to finish your game and submit it to the showcase. I pledge to play all of the submitted game and to discuss them in a dedicated video!

UPDATE: Continued in the Advanced Shmup Tutorial

P#111175 2022-05-02 07:30 ( Edited 2023-03-05 09:27)

Cart #kobold_blender_tycoon-0 | 2022-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

"If I had a dollar for every kobold I put in the blender, I'd be making money in a very weird way."
-- Mitch Hedberg, approximately

CW: Cartoon sadism. (Consensual!)

A friend of mine is really into kobolds and kind of a masochist, so I made a game where you put kobolds through the blender and drink it. There aren't really any mechanics, but it pretends to be a management sim because I think that's funny. Have fun!

Nyeo

(Soundtrack: Piano Sonata No. 1, Carl Maria von Weber)

PS: To those who liked this game, there's now a sequel!

P#111161 2022-05-01 23:14 ( Edited 2023-04-25 05:54)

Cart #lander112-1 | 2022-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Lander

I wanted to try out physics in PICO-8, so I made this!

A short minigame about landing a spacecraft on a planet.

Use left and right to move sideways, and circle to use your main engine.

There is also a brief tutorial to let you get used to the controls.

I'll release this on itch.io soon!

Changelog

• V1.0 - Initial release
  • V1.1 - Made landing transition smoother, score no longer counts on collision
P#111160 2022-05-01 22:23 ( Edited 2022-05-05 16:20)

Hey !

You may have already heard about virtual sprite from Poom devlog ( @freds72) and one high memory implementation from @pancelor. Here is my take.

Cart #vsprbench-3 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

As a reminder, the principle of virtual sprite is to have a kind of "palette of sprite" which allow to draw more sprite than the 256 native built-in ones.

The cartridge contains 4 PX9 compressed spritesheet that are unpacked when the cartridge boot. Then a bunch of benchmark are launched to test the LRU Cache with differents configurations.

Implementation overview

I implement two types of LRU cache and a benchmark to challenge implementations. With LRU cache, the oldest sprite are replaced by the new ones when cache is full. Easier to say than to do ! To keep track of sprite age, I use an queue, implemented with LUA tables.

I use a 2 implementations of the lru age queue, one with the native del, deli, add function, and one with customs ldel, laddlast function relying on queue/linkedlist principle. My goal with linked list is to avoid shifting all table elements and reduce cpu cost of del/deli function. These two additionnal functions costs 134 tokens, maybe it can be improved...

I also implement one type of cache that handle 8x8 sprites, (256 in spritesheet and 1024 virtuals) and another with 16x16 sprites (64 in spritesheet and 256 virtual).
8x8 sprites exactly match what pico8 can do with spr function but it has to deal with heavier table to handle sprite age in cache. 16x16 sprites are... bigger which can be a pros or a cons, but in both case they reduce the size of the cache and should reduce overhead to handle them. It is the choice that @freds72 has made in poom.

Finally, I added a FIFO policy to the cache, which has the advantage of being simple and needs low cpu. We can see if this is an interesting approach.

Results

To comment the results, I would say that 16x16 sprites are handled better, because even if pico8 draw less sprites per sec, each sprite is 4 times bigger. That said you can multiply the number of sprite per second and you will have more 8x8 sprites.
We can also see that with 16x16 sprites, the overhead of native del function is not to much of a problem.
With 8x8 sprites, you have a huge gain with linked list queue, because we never shift the whole 1023 elements in the age queue. So if can you afford the 134 tokens and have to deal with 8x8 sprites, this choice is interesting.
The worst choice to make is to deal with 8x8 sprites and native del function to handle lru cache. I think in this case the overhead simply discard the benefits of the cache.

EDIT: With the vspr function provided by @JadeLombax, we can see that LRU implementation overhead never provide better results. Even with high cache hit ratio, it barely reach the performance with cache. It means that sprite copy is already fast, so if we want to handle a kind of cache to avoid double copy for each sprite drawing, we need a low overhead cache mechanic. So I try a FIFO cache.

If you want to test your own functions

On tab 2, there is a table for benchmark declaration. The table benchs contain entries where :

• n is the name of benchmark,
  • f the function to call to draw a sprite from high memory. The Function as 3 parameters, fun(sprite_nb,x,y). Sprite number is the absolute number of sprite among the 4 highmemory bank, with 8x8 sprite, it can be 0-1023.
  • d is the data preset. I use 4 presets, randomly populated 32767 sprite index at boot time.
    ben8 and ben8f are for 8x8 sprite. ben8 can have sprite with index 0 to 1023, which imply a ~25% hit ratio as it is pure random. ben8f only have 0 to 255 sprite index, which implies 100% hit ratio.
    ben16 and ben16f are the same for 16x16 sprite. ben16 has ~25% hit ratio and ben16f ~100%
local benchs={
 {n="jadelombax",f=vspr,d=ben8},
 {n="vspr8memcpy",f=vspr8nc,d=ben8},
 {n="vspr8lru ",f=vspr8,d=ben8},
 {n="vspr8fifo",f=vspr8fifo,d=ben8},
 {n="vspr8lru ",f=vspr8,d=ben8f},
 {n="vspr8fifo",f=vspr8fifo,d=ben8f},
 {n="vspr16lru",f=vspr16,d=ben16},
 {n="vspr16fifo",f=vspr16fifo,d=ben16},
 {n="vspr16lru",f=vspr16,d=ben16f},
 {n="vspr16fifo",f=vspr16fifo,d=ben16f},
 {n="vspr16nc ",f=vspr16nc,d=ben16},
}

So you can add your function and declare it in the benchs, it should work :)

P#111157 2022-05-01 22:21 ( Edited 2022-05-03 20:20)

Hi!

I got some inspiration from Tetris and Minesweeper and made the demo:

Cart #subfinufu-0 | 2022-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My English is not very good, Google Translate is mine sweet. Let her say the rules:

1.Dice can only be placed next to the green line and other dice

2.press X to place or press Z to hold one dice.

3.A full line will be eliminated.

4.Whenever there is an increment or decrement in the row or the same side by side (great than or equal 3) you got 10 * n point.

5,"Metronome" will remaind you that your nexts is "tainted". There are dice with no points in the row, this row has a score of zero.

6.The higher the score, the faster the metronome.

7.score/dice is more important ...score.like KD?

player not dying is the biggiest problem I see. maybe if a row is full of dice with no points to decide the player is dead? But in
this way "KD" will drop a lot in the later stage.

I'd love to receive suggestions on gameplay, and I hope you'll have fun and ideas.

XD

P#111148 2022-05-01 17:13

Dig Deep

https://scottnm.itch.io/dig-deep

The Story

You've just discovered a precious family heirloom has been buried deep underground at an ancestral site. In 24 hours, a construction crew is coming to pave the site and turn it into a parking lot. Hurry! Recover your legacy or it'll be lost forever.

Controls

Left/Right/Up/Down - Move
                 O - Dig
                 X - Use Item

Cart #digdeep-0 | 2022-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Credits

Scott Munro Design, Programming [Github] :: [Site] :: [itch.io]
Tim S Davis Design, Narrative [Twitter] :: [itch.io]
Tania Pavlisak 2D Art [Artstation] :: [Twitter] :: [Instagram] :: [itch.io]
ViRiX Dreamcore Audio [Twitter] :: [Youtube] :: [Portfolio] :: [itch.io]
lovemademusic Audio

Special Thanks

RobbyDuguay for the background music

P#111127 2022-05-01 15:42 ( Edited 2022-05-01 16:02)

Dark Descent

Cart #darkdescentvoi-4 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Would love to hear your feedback

Gameplay

Move with arrow keys, attack with Z, pick up/switch weapon with X.

To win, defeat Diablo (boss of Room 6 of Act 6).

Weapon stats are: Power (damage), Reach (length), Speed (delay before strike) and Weight (delay after strike).

Weapon rarities are: Common (grey), Rare (blue), Epic (pink) and Legendary (Yellow).

Pay attention to spike traps, and be careful around statues!

Version 0.1 Changes:

• Reduced speed of elite enemies in later acts
  • Added menu and victory/defeat screens
  • Implemented score system
  • Player will no longer spawn on top of enemies/walls
  • Weapon swing flashes now properly match their hitboxes

Planned features:

• Music
  • Different abilities for each weapon type
  • Weapon upgrades
  • Monster abilities
  • Random names for acts and bosses

Credits

@Yolwoocle for smooth player movement system from Birds with Guns
Members of Pico-8 discord server for all sorts of help

P#111142 2022-05-01 13:43 ( Edited 2022-05-03 16:24)

Cart #jugofusaza-1 | 2022-05-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#111130 2022-05-01 06:02 ( Edited 2022-05-03 01:14)

Cart #tennisforone-1 | 2022-05-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A little pong-like game! Your basic goal is to keep rallys going, by controlling both paddles! (One paddle moves up, the other moves down. Move the paddles with the up and down buttons) You start with one ball, but the number increases from there. If you lose a ball, your score gets halved. The balls may also not move quite how you expect! Try to get as high of a score as possible.

VERSION 1.1: Only 3 balls can exist at once, and changed score mechanics (when score is bigger than 10, when a ball is lost, you lose 5 points instead of half)

P#111120 2022-05-01 02:00 ( Edited 2022-05-01 05:28)

Does anyone know if there is a way to exit early when a print command is running with the \^d p8scii special command that adds delay frames in between each character?

I'm in token crunch mode and realizing this new special command could be extremely handy for easy RPG-style printing delay with zero code in certain situations, but if there was a way to exit early, it would be even more useful!

And if this is not currently possible, consider it a feature request :p

P#111113 2022-04-30 18:25

Cart #blons1_1-0 | 2022-05-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a demake of bloons tower defense for pico-8!

There are 4 maps in the game!

mouse recommended

P#111112 2022-04-30 17:43 ( Edited 2022-05-05 02:03)

Cart #dashanddoge-6 | 2022-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

DASH&DOGE

Pretty self-explanatory

How to play

Press ❎ to dash and smash the shards. If you smash a shard with matching color you get a point otherwise you lose a life.

As you play some items will spawn like:

• Heart
  • God mode
  • Doubler

Some enemies will also spawn and shoot bullets at you so you have to dodge the bullets and smash those enemies too

About this game

Dash&Doge is my first PICO-8 game. I started this project to try to make a new game mechanic that is fun to play, although I don't know if I succeed or not. Because this was my first time making a game in PICO-8 the code is little messy

Update 1.1

• Fixed the name in the main menu
  • Fixed enemy bullet collation that was making the game impossible to play

Update 1.2

• Fixed grammar
P#111090 2022-04-30 05:38 ( Edited 2022-04-30 15:00)

Cart #you_are_awesome-0 | 2022-04-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You are amazing and special, and don't let anyone make you think otherwise!

P#111078 2022-04-30 01:26
View Older Posts